Why in the WORLD would I make YouTube videos???? I guess I am still asking myself that same thing. Writing is my thing, not video! I don’t have a nice camera, I’ve got that wonky eye, I talk way too fast and chipmunk-y. I know. Trust me guys. I. KNOW. And you don’t even have to watch it. Just leave an anonymous mean comment and move on. It really is ok. I promise.
But here’s why I went against my better judgement and did it anyway. I love LOVE LUV talking beauty products. And if you post about beauty products on your blog I will read it 10x/10. I love it when people ask me about beauty stuff, and those posts tend to do pretty well. Even if they didn’t, I would still post it because *I* love it and guess what guys? Guess whose name is up there in the URL? Oh what’s that? It’s MINE. I decided I want to post once a month at least about beauty products and by gosh d*rn I’m gonna do it.
I sat down with the bucket of beauty products I wanted to share and writing about them must felt like such a chore. Plus I’d have to take product photos and… ugh. Can’t I just tell you about them face to face? Oh. Yeah. I could. A video.
Now, I am not a petite little makeup artist with formal training and perfect skin. I have never made a YouTube video, or anything more orchestrated than a 10 second video of Reese chasing Glen Coco around my kitchen. But there were a few reasons to try:
- It’s so much easier to talk about beauty products than write about them
- Most of the beauty vloggers out there get all of their products for free, which I don’t think makes them completely credible
- Most of the beauty bloggers I follow use mostly high-end stuff, and when they do a “drugstore haul” they’re mixing those products in with $200 worth of other expensive products.
- I buy mostly drugstore, with some Sephora/Ulta/higher-end stuff, but I am ALWAYS going to hunt for and buy the cheapest product that works well – as I suspect most of you do too
- I am not sponsored or doing any of this for money. This is all me, baby.
- I do not have the time or desire to highlight and contour, blowout my hair, and wear a fancy lip color every single day. I’m looking for a fast, clean, low-maintenance look that is still pretty.
- I have watched a LOT of makeup videos on YouTube. A lot. Too many, probably. Call me if you ever need tips on how to look like Michael Jackson in Thriller, because I watched that tutorial with my full and undivided attention.
- I am still learning too, a lot, every day. I may not be the most experienced or legit source out there, but I’m your girlfriend who loves makeup, still doesn’t know how to cover up her dark circles, and will lend you any new product she’s using. I’m that girl.
So I decided to try it. I shared some hair care, skin care, and makeup products that I’ve been using in this way too long YouTube video. Watch it if you like, skip it if you don’t! I have listed all of the products below. As always let me know what you think and share your latest beauty finds!
Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo $23 Sephora
Rusk Texture Dry Finishing Spray $19.47 Amazon
Skin fix Daily Lotion for Dry Skin $3 sample size (full size $14.99) Target
Bird’s Nest Aqua Sleeping Mask Pack $18 Memebox
Skin Ceramic Donkey Milk Steam Cream $20 Memebox (I used codes from their Instagram and first-time buyer discounts to get both of these Memebox products for cheaper with free shipping)
Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water $8.99 Smith’s
Clinique Pep Start free sample Sephora (full size $26.50)
CO Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm $7.50 Bath & Body Works
Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor in Obsession $7.89 Smith’s
Revlon Photoready Skinlight Face Illuminator in 200 Pink Light (weirdly hard to find online??) $10.99 Smith’s
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper $19 Sephora